Thursday, November 12, 2009

40 Years of Sunny Days

On November 10th one of my all time favorite TV shows celebrated it's 40th anniversary, and no, it's not Bewitched, it was Sesame Street. I don't think any show has been more influential on myself or my family than this show. It seemed to be always entertaining and quite funny, even now. And I'm speaking more about the earlier years than what has happened with the Street now, all though I do recognize it's doing a lot of good. But those earlier years seemed to have a magic all their own. I once asked my mom when I was younger why was there Sesame Street and she told me it's so you can watch it when you're bored. Which I did for many years until I realized I could count in Spanish:)

In honor of Sesame Street's 40th I wanted to share 6 favorite moments via video clips. I chose 6 because that's how old Big Bird always is and 10 is just too many:)

I remember this one so much from being really little because I had a huge fascination with Grandfather clocks when I was little. To see this one destroyed was morbidly fascinating! I even had a large Lego like set that I would build a clock with and then destroy but always have the two parts of the outercase of the clock left standing like this one did:)

This one represents the brilliance of Jim Henson for me. It's so basic, from the rhyming, to the set, to the puppets,
but so wild and awesome and just plain hilarious!

Cookie Monster was always one of my favorites because he was blue and a monster and he loved cookies.

This one is so precious!! I just want to give that little girl, Joey, a big hug. When I was little I was totally blown
away that not only when they spoke the letters did they appear but when she threw in Cookie Monster, he
appeared as a letter!

This song has to be one of THE coolest songs! And I loved that all these famous people were in it, including the Simpsons!

Cookie Monster kills me with his trying to be polite but also not understanding that not everywhere would have cookies!


2 comments:

Mackenzie said...

LOVE this post!!! I am suprised the "Munama" guys weren't in there or the "Meep meep meep meep meep, uh huh uh huh" aliens. Those were two of my faves!

I have to agree on the fat cat rhyming one. Love it!

David said...

Thanks Kenz:) The Mahna Mahna guys are more "Muppet Show" for me, though I realize they began on "Sesame Street" and the aliens always gave me nightmares!

But there were so many other clips...I was going to include the one of Grover singing with Madeline Kahn because that's pretty much my favorite, but I posted that on FB just a couple days ago.