Sunday, January 18, 2015

My dad, part 3 January 16 - 18, 2015

Miracles really do happen.

My cousin Holly texted me at work on Friday and said she had something to tell me that she didn't want to say through text. I thought, "Oh great! Here we go with some more stupid Pierce drama." So after lunch with my brother Paul and his friend Brandon (where Brandon told us to take advantage of any time we have left as Brandon's dad died of cancer), I called Holly. She said, "You won't believe what happened this morning..." She proceeded to tell me that her mother called and told her that she had decided that she didn't want to make my dad's last days stressful for him or my family, and that even if she disagrees with this decision, she needs to be with him and talk with him and that she hoped my mom would allow her over. Both Holly and I were shocked beyond belief! Shelley never admits when she is wrong. She also said that Leatrice felt the same but that they hadn't spoke to Louise about it yet. This all made me feel much better.

That night I went to see American Sniper starring Bradley Cooper with my friends. I didn't realize it was based on a true story...and a sad true story at that. While watching it there were a ton of helicopters and I started getting way sad because my dad loves helicopters and war movies. I can't believe we're to this point.

Saturday my family and I decided that Dad needed to go visit his childhood best friend Paul Draper who lives in Wellington, where my dad is from. We were also going to visit Leatrice and her family. I was wary of visiting Leatrice because of what had gone on this week. I didn't want it to be awkward. Paul actually drove and Mayson, Mom, Dad, and I all went down. The day was absolutely beautiful. We decided to go to Leatrice's first.

 It was a struggle to get Dad up the steps in her garage. Ray was there and shortly after we arrived Natalie and her oldest child Kam came over. We had a good time visiting and I didn't feel like it was awkward. I did notice at one point in the conversation that I wasn't a part of that Leatrice shared her concerns but Paul and Mom reiterated just how sick Dad is. It didn't help matters that Dad said, "I wish I felt sick because I don't." Natalie and I looked through old pictures and found a lot that I had never seen before of my dad. After about three hours we left and went to Paul Draper's.

Now I have never known where Paul Draper lived. I've only met him twice I believe but never really spoke to him. Dad used to go visit him a lot when I was younger when we'd come to visit Grandma. But recently he would always pass on visiting him. I thought maybe Paul Draper lived far out of town. Turns out he lives two blocks away from where Grandma lived. His truck wasn't by his house and I went up to the door and knocked. There was no answer. I knocked again and still nothing. Suddenly the old guy from next door in a trailer yells at me, while holding a handi-cam, "Smile! You're on camera and I'm sending it to the police!" I responded, "I'm looking for Paul Draper!" Just then a skinny old guy came around the corner from Paul's house. I said, "Paul, my dad Wade is looking for you." Paul brightened up and came to the car. He was so GLAD to see Dad. He kept repeating that. Mom told Paul that Dad was on hospice and he seemed to think that made sense. Paul Draper hasn't had a phone for fifteen years but said anytime his kids come to visit he would call Dad.
 
I was so glad that Dad was able to see Paul. And then we left for home.

 
 
SUNDAY
 
After I actually went to the Cottonwood 11th ward at the request of the sister missionaries, I called Mom at about 11. Dad was still asleep! And she said he looked puffy this morning. This means his kidneys really aren't working and he's going downhill quick. So I went out there and we've just been visiting. I decided after awhile that I probably should stay home tomorrow in case he slips away. It's so strange to know he won't be here soon.

No comments: