Saturday, November 15, 2008

Come and listen to my story...


...'bout a man named Jed and his family better known as The Beverly Hillbillies my new favorite show (though nothing will ever top Bewitched).

I used to watch the show sometimes when it was on in the afternoon re-runs when I was younger but I didn't take a yen to it, mainly because it didn't have any magic to it like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie did. I also thought it dumb that these hillbillies would still act like that living in such a cool place as Beverly Hills!

Just a couple months ago it was announced that the Second Season of the show was going to be released on DVD with the original sponsor openings and closings included!! Now one that thing that I LOVE about classic TV is seeing the old commercials or the variations on the theme songs. Not many people are aware that when TV shows in the 50s and 60s originally aired they used sponsors to support them and a lot of times the sponsors were integrated into the opening of the show. Here is an example of the two sponsors from the Beverly Hillbillies:



These rare pieces of film are never seen in re-runs and I think they add to the mystique of whatever show it is. Bewitched had their own sponsors but none of those openings are included on the DVD releases so I wanted to see how this would look on the Beverly Hillbillies.

There is a lot of legal mumbo-jumbo concerning the First Season that has seen many DVD releases but not any of them really good except for a two volume set that also included these rare openings and cast commercials. I happened to find the second volume at FYE but when I got it home it was missing two discs. But the ones that were on there were FANTASTIC!! It also happened that WGN started airing the Beverly Hillbillies from the beginning, so I started watching it.

What a funny show!! And I do have to say totally believable that they would move to Beverly Hills and maintain their hick lifestyle. What I also noticed is that they have good moral values that they try to look for in others. But mainly, just simply hysterical!

My sister ended up buying me the Second Season and I've just enjoyed it all to pieces! I pert near double-up in laughter whenever I watch it! I would totally suggest purchasing it if you're looking for some good laughs and fun. And the best thing? There are still seven seasons to go!

No comments: