Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I did it!

I should've posted before now because my resolution to show my dad I love him came to fruition well over two weeks ago.

I actually had to get a real big kick in the butt from our Father in Heaven to do so, but sometimes that's needed. What happened is that I was asked to teach a lesson in the Elders Quorum at Church. My lesson was based on President Thomas S. Monson's (leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) Sunday morning address at October 2008 General Conference. His talk was entitled "Finding Joy in the Journey" (you can read the transcript of this at the link provided). What hit me specifically was this statement:
Send that note to the friend you’ve been neglecting; give your child a hug; give your parents a hug; say “I love you” more; always express your thanks. Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. Friends move away, children grow up, loved ones pass on. It’s so easy to take others for granted, until that day when they’re gone from our lives and we are left with feelings of “what if” and “if only.” Said author Harriet Beecher Stowe, “The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone.”


During my lesson I shared with those Elders what I had shared here on the blog. One of them spoke up and told me how importat he felt it was that I do go ahead and share my love for my dad with my dad because his opportunity had been taken about five months ago when his own father passed. He also mentioned how awful the process of grieving over your parent is, especially if you have regrets.

And so it was that evening when my father came home from work, and we were having a late night talk that I gave him a hug. He was really pleased and so was I.

So don't put it off, whether it's your parents, your spouse, your children, your siblings or your friends. You never know when the moment will forever be gone.

No comments: