Saturday, June 13, 2009

Age of Technology


Today I went to tour the new facilities of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints History Museum. I had a two-fold reason: 1) I really wanted to see what kind of stuff they have in the archives and 2) my brother Pibby works there so I wanted to see where he worked.

It was a very interesting tour, the most fascinating part for me being the archival of audio recordings. The demonstrator at that point of the tour works in that department and showed us how he can take a horrible, crackly old recording and make it sound brand new! It was awesome! He also showed us how in the late 19th to early 20th century there was a device used to make recordings on wire. Did you know this? I certainly didn't. On a thin wire like what you would fish with, maybe a bit thicker, people back in the day would make recordings! I didn't have a chance to ask Demonstrator how this was possible because there were too many people there. I am going to research though cause that's crazy!

Anyway, he played a couple examples of recordings he had of various Prophets of the Church, the earliest being from Wilford Woodruff in, I believe, 1897 that was recorded onto a wax cylinder. He also played the testimony of President Gordon B Hinckley's father that was from a wire recording and he most definitely was in that same time period as Wilford Woodruff. The marvelous part about it was hearing the testimony of these individuals, far removed from my time, but with the same testimony that I have, and that was that God lives and that his Son, Jesus Christ, is the Savior of the World.

The recordings played were no more than 20 seconds long, if that, but it made me marvel at how these men used these crude recording devices to share what they know to be true and how I have such an array of easy ways to share my testimony in a crystal clear fashion, whether by a digital recording, whether audio or visual or both, or simply typing it out.

So, like those men of yesteryear I'm going to share in about 20 seconds, really less, what I know to be true. I want all two readers of my blog to know that I know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and he is my Savior and yours. I also know that Joseph Smith, Jr restored the Church of Jesus Christ to the Earth and that in addition to the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon witnesses of the divinity of Jesus. In His Name, amen.

No comments: