Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My happy place?


So it turns out that my happy place is the sound of a train blowing it's horn! I didn't know this until yesterday and I'll explain why.

There is a train track that runs near my brother's house and while I was there playing Nertz (family favorite card game) we heard the train signaling that it was approaching. It doesn't seem like I've heard that sound in quite some time, like a REALLY long time! But it has always reminded me of being down to Grandma Pierce's house or over at my cousin's house sleeping over when I was younger. Those were great times even though we were in Wellington, a small sleepy town in central Eastern Utah where there is nothing to do but listen to trains and sleep over. I remember hearing the trains and wondering where they were going to. I also always thought of how it's quite possible that the same bellowing sound of the train was something that was heard over a 100 years ago and that it's something that hasn't ever changed and in fact, was somewhat of a link to the past.

Anyway, when I heard it yesterday I immediately felt that sense of peace and happiness that I had when I was younger and there wasn't really much to worry about except when the next round of fun was going to come around.

It was even sweeter still that when I got home yesterday that I heard the train again on the tracks that run about two miles from my house as though it were saying, "Those were good times and you know? There are still more to be had."

1 comment:

Mackenzie said...

We love the sound of a train, too. There is something so calming and nostalgic about that loud whistle and then the rhythmic sound of the wheels passing over the tracks. LOVE IT!