Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Possible Date with Death


Tomorrow marks the 20th anniversary of the passing away of my Uncle Dave and it's got me to thinking about something that I keep in the backburners of my mind on low, and that is the possible family curse. Not so much on the family but on the Davids of the family, particularly my mom's side of the family.

My Uncle Dave is my mom's brother, her oldest brother, and he passed away from a brain tumor which he was diagnosed with about seven years before he died. He was only 37 years old.

My mom's youngest sister Carol married a David. He was the oldest of his siblings and he passed away in 1997 due to leukemia. He was 39.

You're all familiar with my first name.

I am the oldest of my siblings.

And, like it or not (I mainly say that part to myself), I am 33 years old.

None of the other siblings of my mother have passed away or had their spouses pass away from cancer-related causes.

I also think it would totally be ironic for me to get colon cancer as that is how Elizabeth Montgomery met her demise and I've always wanted to get to know her better, however, I wouldn't like to know what having colon cancer, or any cancer for that matter, is.

I know I'm being silly, but it still haunts me, that I'm the third David in the family and I'm getting close to the ages of the other Daves. I would like to say "third time is a charm" however, I also realize that deaths come in threes, and for such similarities between us Daves, I'm not thinking I'm going to be the charmed one.

2 comments:

Mackenzie said...

Stop it!!! We are going to celebrate our 77th birthdays together.

At Disney World.

Anonymous said...

That can't happen! Because you forgot that you have many years ahead of you! Remembering that all three of the people you are talking about were married and had several children. So until you get married and have a couple of kids YOU SIR are not even close to fitting into a remote category of the "Dave's" or EM. So stop it! You still have to go to finish school! I'm sorry to say, but this was the worst subject of a post that has entered your blog! Wanting cancer? Dave seriously!I agree with mackenzie!